Family Visas

Are you a non-British citizen looking to come to the UK? Let us help. Our friendly advisers can help you to quickly and successfully obtain the Partner Visa you need to unite your family.

Partner / Spouse Visa

To apply as a partner, you and your partner both need to be 18 or over.

Your partner must also either:

  • Be a British or Irish Citizen
  • Have settled in the UK – for example, they have indefinite leave to remain, settled status or proof of permanent residence
  • Be from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein and have pre-settled status – they must have started living in the UK before 1 January 2021
  • Have a Turkish Businessperson visa or Turkish Worker visa
  • Have refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK

You and your partner must intend to live together permanently in the UK after you apply.

If your partner has settled status you may be able to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme or for a family permit.

You must be able to prove one of the following:

  • You’re in a civil partnership or marriage that’s recognised in the UK
  • You’ve been living together in a relationship for at least 2 years when you apply
  • You are a fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner and will marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK within 6 months of arriving.

You also need to prove you:

  • Have a good knowledge of English
  • Can financially support yourself and your dependents 

If you do not meet these requirements, you may still be able to apply for a visa or extend your permission to stay if:

  • You have a child in the UK who is a British or Irish citizen or has lived in the UK for 7 years and it would be unreasonable for them to leave the UK
  • There would be very significant difficulties for you and your partner if you lived together as a couple outside the UK that could not be overcome
  • It would breach your human rights that stop you coming to the UK or make you leave

Fiancé / Fiancée or Proposed Civil Partner

You must prove that:

  • And previous marriages or civil partnerships have ended
  • You plan to marry or become civil partners within 6 months of arriving in the UK

You will not be able to work during your engagement and can stay for 6 months.

With appeals following unsuccessful visa applications often taking months to sort it pays to get your application right the first time.

Our friendly, OISC regulated experts can help you quickly identify the right visa for you and successfully navigate the complex application process. 

Application Process – 

You can apply for a Spouse Visa both from outside the UK and from within the UK. This is when extending an existing visa. This is also in certain other circumstances e.g. switching from a Fiancé Visa.

An application form must be completed and submitted with supporting documents.

Applications from outside and inside the UK must be done online and you will usually receive a decision within 12 weeks.

Alternatively, you can expedite your application by using the priority service that is available in most overseas countries.

If applying from within the UK, you have the option to apply by post or to use the Home Office’s premium in-person service.

The minimum financial requirements are designed to ensure you and your partner have enough money to adequately support yourselves without relying on public funds.

UK Ancestry/ Extension of your current UK Ancestry Visa

Your family members can apply as your dependents at the same time or to join you later.

You may be able to apply using the fast track service, made available by the Home Office.

You can apply for a UK Ancestry visa if you:

  • are a Commonwealth citizen and are 17 or over
  • are applying from outside the UK (you cannot change (‘switch’) into this visa if you’re already in the UK on another visa
  • if you are able to prove that one of your grandparents was born in the UK
  • are able and planning to work in the UK or have a job offer
  • have enough money without help from public funds to maintain and accommodate yourself

Get in touch for a FREE assessment

Contact Us